Friends Come In Two Types

6:21 PM Posted In , , Edit This 2 Comments »
It's a Friday night but it isn't just any Friday night, it's a special Friday night. Right now I should be dressed up, my hair should be brushed, my make up should be gorgeous, and I would be surrounded by my friends. We would be celebrating the fact that I'm turning 24 years old (not technically until this coming Tuesday). Guess what? I'm not out with my friends, I'm at home, in my room, snuggled under blankets in my bed. This is not the way today should have gone.

I felt horrible about canceling on my friends. A lot of them had to move their schedules around in order to come. I was looking forward to having all of my friends together because my Birthday celebration is the only time it happens each year. I'm not having just a lupus flare, I'm genuinely sick, feeling about as good as a soggy, moldy Pop-Tart left in a kid's lunch box over summer vacation. After I sent out text messages and emails, I got a reply back from each person. Here are some of the things they said.

"It's ok sweetie. Get well. :-)"

"Do you need anything?"

"O god that bites. I hope u feel better soon!"

"*muah* its otay it just means u get to celebrate in a week or so! :-P Feel better, <3 you! Happy birfthday!"

"If there's anything I can do let me know."

"U being healthy is all that matters. Seriously. When you reschedule, let me know and I will be off:-)"

"That sucks! Hope you feel better soon!"

"We'll all understand. We're all MORE interested in seeing you better than in seeing you 2night. :)"

In that moment, I was reminded of a passage that I had recently read in a book.

"...there are two types of friends in the world, those who inspire you all that is great and good and those who'd prefer to get right down on their haunches and help out with the mud pies..."
~Julie Powell, Julie and Julia

I'm lucky, I don't have to choose which friends inspire me and which ones help me out with the mud pies. My closest friends do both for me! Today when they told me to feel better, I actually felt better for a minute or two afterward. When they asked if I needed anything, I knew that they would go to the ends of the earth for me. So while I'm missing my own Birthday party, laying in bed, trying really hard to get better, my friends are still supporting me all the way. To them, I'm more than a person who has a chronic illness, I'm their Erika. They love me for me and no matter what they will always stand by my side.

So, my close friends who had to miss out on an Erika celebration, please know this. I love you, I love each and every one of you. I am so unbelievably lucky to have you in my life. Very few people have as many amazing friends as I do. Every day you inspire me to be the best Erika I know I can be. Every day, whether you realize it or not, you help me. I know that we will always have each others backs. Nothing will ever stand in the way of our friendship because we love each other too much. Thank you for being so understanding over the years, I know it hasn't been easy for any of you. I hope one day I can give back as much as you give to me. You are each two types of friends in one, but remaining unique with qualities that I could only dream of having. You all are truly the best friends that everyone wishes they could have.

Bisous!
Erika

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Happy birthday a few days early, and feel better. I'm just getting over a serious cold or flu crud. Wiped me out pretty good. Hope you can sleep it off.

Unknown said...

Friends who understand and stick with you through thick and thin are the only kind to have.