Let Life Be Simple

1:57 PM Posted In , , Edit This 0 Comments »
Dear Readers,
This is my 100th blog post. I can hardly believe that I have actually written 100 blogs. It seems like just yesterday I had this crazy notion to start this blog. It started out as a way for me to chronicle my life with lupus. Originally it was only supposed to be about lupus. But at a certain point I decided to do something that almost felt dangerous and forbidden. I opened up. This blog has been such a freeing, life changing experience for me. In the process of writing these little blogs, I've found pieces of myself that were lost over the years. This blog isn't about lupus, it's about me, all of me. Sometimes it's wonderfully inspirational and other times I break it down with the nitty gritty. That's life, it can't always be perfect and tough times make life worth living. Because eventually you overcome, you triumph, you win! Those rough patches show you who you really are, what you are made of, and that life is worth living.

Thank you for sticking with me throughout this journey. It helps me to know that people are out there reading this. I hope that some of my posts are helpful, that they impact you just as much as they impact me. I keep thinking that one of these days this blog will reach the right person at the right time and it will help them in ways I could never imagine. But for now I'll settle for the fact that this blog helps me along. I cannot express my thanks enough to each of you.

Here's a little entry that I hope is worthy enough for my 100th blog. Enjoy!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday I went to a playground with a very close friend of mine and his precious daughter. The day was beautiful, the sun was shining, the air was warm, not in a stifling, but comforting. After feeling a bit under the weather for the past few days, stepping outside was a nice change of pace. It was lovely to breathe in the fresh air, to feel the gentle glow of the sun, to experience the slight breeze whispering over my skin. I feel it was just what the doctor ordered.

While I was at the playground, I did something I haven't done in ages, I decided to get on the swings. At first I thought "This is childish and stupid, why on earth would I get on the swings?" But then I thought to myself "Why the hell not?" So that's what I did, I got on the swing and I pumped my legs, just like I did when I was in elementary school. With each pump of my legs, I went higher and higher. The higher I went, the faster I went, and in that moment I remembered what it was like to be a kid again. Where nothing mattered except trying to go faster and higher than your friend who was next to you on the swings. When a skinned knee would only slow you down enough to put a band aid over it. Life was about little adventures that were imagined while reading books under the covers with a flashlight. It was simple, it was good, it was the way childhood should be.

I think sometimes we forget about the little kid inside of us. We automatically brush off our instinct to do something fun with the words "It's childish and stupid." Sometimes being childish and stupid is the best thing we can do for ourselves. It allows us to be free, our imaginations to soar, and in the end we find this inner peace that we once thought was lost. For me it's always the simple things that captivate me, that impact me the most. Those things help me to become a better Erika, constantly evolving but hardly ever taking the moment to realize why. I've realized sometimes you just have to let go, find that swing set, and fly. Soar through the air, feel the breeze in your hair, let your heart's worries fly away. Be a kid again, for just a moment let life be simple.

Bisous!
Erika

0 comments: